Course OverviewShine in your career by writing clear, actionable, professional emails and documents that get results. Professional success depends on clear, thoughtful communication. Strong Business Writing can help you both inform and connect with your readers. Your readers will appreciate writing that's clear, concise, and respectful. This course will help you put your best foot forward professionally, and develop strong relationships with your readers. This self-paced course includes strategies, examples, and practice opportunities.
What You'll Learn
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Adapt your writing to different situations
- Understand the differences between academic and business writing expectations
- Consider your reader's needs, values, constraints, and preferences
- Apply practical strategies to make your writing more clear and concise
- Begin your message with a clear main point
- Write intentionally for your readers and to meet goals
- Write actionably to support your readers and meet business outcomes
Who Should Attend
This course is right for you if you're:
- starting your first career
- starting a new career
- changing industries
- returning to the workforce after time away
- hoping to grow quickly in your career
- interested in feeling more confident about the writing you do for work
Business Writing Fundamentals includes 6 brief instructional videos, plus reflection and review questions. This course takes about 4 hours to complete, and can be paused and resumed at any time. You'll need internet access, a place to take notes, and try practice problems.
Must view 95% of video instruction and complete all review and reflect questions to receive Certificate of Completion.
UNM Tuition Remission
UNM Staff, Faculty, and Retirees: This course is Tuition Remission eligible under Professional Development. For more information, visit the UNM Tuition Remission information page.
This program is offered in partnership with High Value Writing.
See additional programs: