10702 - Fit 2 Hit: Self Defense as Fitness
Course OverviewBuild strength and stamina, and reaction time as well as incorporate muscle memory by practicing self-defense strikes and drills. Each one-hour class includes a mixture of cardiovascular, conditioning exercises led by the instructor. Participants use boxing and kickboxing skills on bags and mitts as well as practice self-defense techniques.
What You'll Learn
- Learn proper form and technique for strikes and self-defense drills.
- Gain improved stamina, strength, mobility and reaction time in executing strikes and movements.
- Learn boxing, kickboxing, defensive blocking, kicking, palm strikes, knee strikes, elbow strikes
- Gain core, upper body and leg strengthening.
- Students will walk away with an improved fitness level. Students will be challenged but encouraged, resulting in more confidence and knowledge of self-defense.
Who Should AttendWomen and young women ages 11 and up. Please consult with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program.
Students may want to consider bringing boxing gloves or purchasing them on site ($42) or elsewhere. Students may also participate in the classes without gloves and will be shown alternatives such as how to use palms and elbows for striking.
Ten class sessions must be utilized within one year of registration.
No refunds once enrollment is initiated.
UNM Tuition Remission
UNM Staff, Faculty, and Retirees: This class is eligible for UNM Tuition Remission under Personal Enrichment (Health & Fitness).