Become a Chartered Tax Professional
Chartered Tax Professionals (CTP®) help individuals and organizations manage their income tax situations and file their income tax returns. The CTP® designation is the most widely recognized qualification for tax-specific professionals. In this 100% online course, you will learn to prepare income tax returns for most US citizens, along with small businesses, partnerships, and sole proprietorships. Upon successful completion, you will be eligible to prepare individual returns professionally. You will also have the knowledge needed to sit for the Special Enrollment Exam, which individuals take to become Enrolled Agents under the auspices of the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Job Outlook for Chartered Tax Professional
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects the demand for Accountants and Auditors to increase by 4% between now and 2029. This matches anticipated growth for all job categories. The BLS notes that professionals who have earned industry-recognized designations will enjoy the strongest demand for their skills.
- According to the BLS, Tax Preparers earn $23.82 per hour, or $49,550 per year, on average. Most Tax Preparers earn between $28,450 and $63,070 per year. Wages for top Tax Preparers average $87,060 per year.
What You'll Learn
- Master preparing taxes for individuals, small businesses, partnerships, and sole proprietorships
- Prepare for the IRS Enrolled Agent exam
- Learn how to conduct a professional tax preparation client interview
- Practice and work as a qualified tax professional
- Learn how to prepare tax returns for all individual U.S. taxpayers
- Understand the ethical responsibilities of tax professionals
- Start working and earning money after completing the first two modules of the course
- Develop a professional vocabulary and the communication skills required to flourish in the accounting world
- Become qualified to prepare taxes for a variety of tax-holders and small companies
- Possess the necessary knowledge and skillset required to pass the IRS Enrolled Agent exam
How to Enroll
This course is offered in partnership with Ed2Go Online Education.
WHAT SKILLS DOES A CHARTERED TAX PROFESSIONAL REQUIRE?
Chartered Tax Professionals need a comprehensive and current knowledge of income tax laws, forms and procedures. The Income Tax School, which oversees the Chartered Tax Certificate Program, notes that increasing complexity in tax regulations is a strong driver of demand among those who hold the CTP® designation. CTP®s also need communication, negotiation and organization skills to work with clients and manage their practices.
CAN CHARTERED TAX PROFESSIONALS WORK ANYWHERE?
The CTP® prepares you to provide tax services to most US citizens. However, individual states may issue and control their own license and certification requirements. For example, residents of California are subject to the California Tax Education Council (CTEC) and should take the Chartered Tax Professional for California Residents course to meet those requirements.