Gain Knowledge You Can Take Across Careers
Learn how to use the latest geospatial technology and build expertise in computer-based data collection, storage, analysis, and more. These specialized skills are sought by government agencies, private engineering firms, non-profit organizations, consultants, utility companies, and other employers around the world and right here in New Mexico.
The GIS Certification Program gives you the opportunity to learn computer-aided mapping, spatial database management, spatial analysis, and a variety of geospatial technologies. The program not only teaches GIS theories and concepts but also provides hands-on training with standard industry software such as ArcGIS.
Upon completion of this program, students will understand basic GIS concepts, theories, principles, become familiar with GIS components and be able to conduct spatial analysis and implement analytical approaches to decision-making and problem-solving.
The GIS Certificate is comprised of four sections:
- Cartography Basics
- Geographic Information Systems: Beginning
- Geographic Information Systems: Intermediate
- Geographic Information Systems: Advanced
What You'll Learn
- Data models, file formats, and geodatabases
- How to work with ArcMap and ArcCatalog
- Work with coordinate reference systems, symbolize data, compose a map, create data from coordinate tables, and work with tables.
- Where to acquire GIS data
- Map density, measure proximity, classify data, edit vector data, georeference imagery, create joins, work with selections, and create new attribute columns
- Geoprocessing tools available in ArcToolBox and how to run them
- Build Geodatabase topology
- How to work with elevation data to derive hillshade images, slope, and aspect
- Work with extensions such as Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst
- How to work with raster data and work with ArcScene to build 3D scenes
- Batch process data in ArcToolBox
- Create your own toolboxes and automate workflows by building a model in Model Builder
The student is reponsible for the textbook, and the Textbook information is following:
- Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop 10.8, ISBN 9781589485778 eISBN 9781589485785 (required)
Other less expensive options:
There is an electronic version of the book available
An older version: Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop 10.6, ISBN 9781589485105. No significant changes from this version to the latest.
ArcGIS software access will be provided and a session will be scheduled to download and install the software before the course start date
Continuous internet access, PC (Windows 8 or later) or MAC, and microphone are required to attend the Live Online session. Webcam is recommended.
ArcGIS software is provided and requires a PC or Linux to download and run. Software is not compatible with a MAC.
Recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browsers.
UNM Tuition Remission
UNM Staff, Faculty, and Retirees: This course is Tuition Remission eligible under Professional Development. For more information, visit the UNM Tuition Remission information page click here.