Ideas are easy. The right ideas take a bit more work! Design Thinking is an innovative process for collaborative and creative problem solving. The process focuses on the people you are creating the solution for, which will lead to better products, services and internal processes.
What is Design Thinking?
Design thinking is a problem-solving approach that has been widely adopted by organizations and businesses to develop products and services that meet the needs of their users. It involves empathy, prototyping, and testing to understand users’ needs, validate ideas, and create solutions that are truly user-centered. It combines what is desirable from a human perspective with what is technologically feasible and economically viable.
While design thinking began in the world of product design, it is currently being applied at a variety of organizational levels. You can apply design thinking to many organizational areas, including:
- Product design
- Service and experience design
- Business design
- Non-profit strategic planning and implementation
- Organizational change
Participants will have the opportunity work with an experienced Design Thinking instructor to identify specific scenarios for application of the process. The final result will be a proposed product, service or policy that best satisfies the needs of the affected customers/stakeholders. The program will help solve current organizational problems and will teach a methodology that participants can apply to any issues coming up at work.
What You'll Learn
- The components of design thinking
- Keep humans at the center of the design
- Define users and customers Frame and reframe problems
- Define a future state for solution paths
- Prototype your ideas
- Gather feedback and integrate thru rapid interations
- Apply design thinking to non-traditional roles
- Improve organizational performance
- Solve complex challenges
- Achieve better results by combining design thinking with analytical decision making
- Build an environment that fosters creativity
- Develop new ways to collaborate across all functions of the organization
Who Should Attend
- Professionals from any industry who are responsible for problem solving and looking for new and innovative approaches.
- Teams who want to use the workshop to tackle an organizational challenge.
- Key roles that would benefit from this workshop include Product Managers, Directors and Developers, Business Analysts, Project Managers, Operation Managers, L&D Professionals, UX/UI Designers, Graphic Designers, Visual Designers, Product and Service Designers, Software Developers, Web Developers, Engineers, Entrepreneurs
- This program will also benefit individuals and teams that are currently working in “siloed” organizations and seeking integrated approaches for communication and innovation across teams
UNM Tuition Remission
UNM Staff, Faculty, and Retirees: This course is Tuition Remission eligible under Professional Development. For more information, visit the UNM Tuition Remission information page.