Demystify a live language that has existed and thrived for thousands of years. Chinese Calligraphy art has become a popular past time in China and around the world. As an expression of the artist's emotion and psyche, it combines visual art and significant literary meaning. Learn about the basics of a writing system which is also an art form in East Asian cultures, and create beautiful calligraphy art, while understanding the tools and techniques to make you successful.
Mr. Peng Yu is a Senior Lecturer of Chinese at the main campus of UNM. He has been teaching all levels of Mandarin Chinese language courses for the Chinese program in the Department of Languages, Cultures, and Literatures since 2016. In recent years, Mr. Yu started offering a traditional Chinese calligraphy art course at the main campus. In Fall 2022, his students' calligraphy artworks were selected to be featured in the virtual exhibition at the National Chinese EXPO of Student Works (College Level).
What You'll Learn
- Learn the history and significance of Chinese Calligraphy as an art form
- Understand the tools and techniques to create beautiful Chinese Calligraphy Art
- Develop and hone a new skill
Who Should AttendAre you interested in Chinese culture and language? Want to learn the skills to engage with this beautiful art form? No knowledge of Chinese language required.
1. (Necessary) Chinese Calligraphy Set for Beginners: https://a.co/d/9RPVoTu
2. (Optional, some available for use, but you may want your own for personal use) Wool writing mat, size 80x120cm: https://a.co/d/3eSffE7
3. (Optional, some available for use, but you may want your own for personal use) Paper weights: https://a.co/d/ejApCTs
4. (Optional, some large-size brushes available for use, but you may want brushes in smaller sizes) Calligraphy brush set: https://a.co/d/3B61Umz
Choose the Small/Medium/Large 3pc set, number 8 or 13 or 17.
5. (Optional, available, but you may want to purchase for personal use) Black ink, 500ml per bottle: https://a.co/d/au6VHMS
6. (Optional, but you may want to purchase for personal use) Chinese Calligraphy Writing Paper: https://a.co/d/5mHmZgV