This virtual workshop teaches the Hoodoo Hex weave and the related Dragog weave, also known as Japanese Hoodoo, through the construction of a Hoodoo Hex bracelet and a pair of Dragog chain earrings in sterling silver.
Materials reflect enough supplies needed to make 1 pair of earrings and a bracelet approximately 8” in length. Students will also receive a color handout documenting each step of the process so that they can recreate these designs at home. For students who wish to explore the weaves further, additional information on widening the Hoodoo Hex weave, connecting the ends of the Hoodoo Hex weave to form rings, and sheeting the Dragog weave will be included in the handout and may be demonstrated if time permits.
It is assumed that all students who enroll are proficient weavers, know the difference between Through-the-Eye and Around-the-Eye connections, and understand gauge, inner/outer diameter, and aspect ratio.
What You'll Learn
- Learn Hoodoo Hex weave and the related Dragog weave, also known as Japanese Hoodoo
- Construct a Hoodoo Hex bracelet and a pair of Dragog chain earrings in sterling silver
Who Should Attend
This class is appropriate for students at the Intermediate level and above. Intermediate Chain Maille Experience Required. Students who enroll should be proficient weavers, know the difference between Through-the-Eye and Around-the-Eye connections, and understand gauge, inner/outer diameter, and aspect ratio.
Materials & Tools
The following supplies will be used for course demonstrations and objectives. A suggested item and/or vendor has been provided below for reference. Click the vendor name link to be redirected to a page where you can find the item. The quantities needed for each item are listed first. If ordering, please be aware that some items may come in larger quantities than needed for this class. We recommend not opening an item's packaging until the day of the workshop. Student participation during or in-between class sessions is strongly encouraged but not required - observers are welcome.
Bracelet materials (note instructor will be demoing in anodized aluminum):
- 360 x 18g Sterling Jump Rings, 3.0mm id, 2.94ar (Urban Maille)
- 1 x 2-strand sterling silver tube slide clasp (Rio Grande)
Earrings materials (note instructor will be demoing in anodized aluminum):
- 48 x 20g Sterling Jump Rings, 2.375mm id, 2.93ar (Urban Maille)
- 10 x 18g Sterling Jump Rings, 4.75mm id, 4.66ar (Urban Maille)
- 2 x 4mm Seamless Sterling bead with 1.5mm hole (Artbeads)
- 1 x pair of ear wires (Rio Grande)
- 2 x smooth jaw flat nose pliers (Rio Grande)
- 1 x 4"x4" plastic canvas (Amazon) OR 2 x twist ties
- 1 x optivisor - optional (Rio Grande)
- 1 x bead mat - optional (Fire Mountain)
NOTE: If students prefer to work in aluminum during class, they can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for size recommendations.
This class is eligible for Tuition Remission through Personal Enrichment.