Start your new career as a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
Do you want to get started in the medical field and enjoy working directly with patients? Then this is the training for you. Join us in this 5-month program!
This program provides the necessary training and skills required to take the National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Clinical Medical Assistant Certification (CMA) examination. This program includes classroom lectures, hands-on activities and laboratory practice. Exam included within tuition. An externship opportunity is available after completion of the program.
Clinical Medical Assistants are in high demand due to the current shortage in health care workers and the current pandemic.
Start your course today for the training you need!
What You'll Learn
- Clinical responsibilities of the medical office—assisting the physician with patientrelated care
- Preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine procedures and diagnostic testing
- HIPAA, patient confidentiality, legal aspects of healthcare and regulatory patient-care issues
- Recording and taking of vital signs, blood pressure and other patient-care items related to the physician office visit
- Review and administration of medications, allergies and other pharmacology-related items
- Laboratory procedures, phlebotomy and the proper techniques required to collect specimens for laboratory analysis
- Cardiology and the proper placement of leads when taking a 12-lead EKG
Who Should AttendThis program is intended for students who want to prepare for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career in healthcare. This program will train students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical responsibilities of a medical office.
This professional training program includes 140 hours of classroom lecture and hands on labs and an optional clinical externship opportunity at a local healthcare provider. To be eligible for the clinical rotation, students must successfully pass the 140 hour program, submit to a thorough background check, drug screening and meet other requirements. Other requirements may include providing one's proof of Covid-19 vaccination or exemption.
Externship is optional and not required to complete program or be eligible for the national exam.
Upon successful completion of this program, students would be eligible to sit for the National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Clinical Medical Assistant Certification (CMA) national examination. Examination voucher included in tuition.
This course may qualify for additional funding opportunities, visit our funding resources page for more information.
UNM Tuition Remission
UNM Staff, Faculty, and Retirees: This course is Tuition Remission eligible under Professional Development. For more information, visit the UNM Tuition Remission information page click here.