Course OverviewExplore the world of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and how it's being used to solve real world problems in this introductory course.
What You'll Learn
- Data models, file formats, and geodatabases
- Discuss the various software and hardware tools currently in use, with a focus on ArcGIS.
- How to work with ArcMap and ArcCatalog
- Work with coordinate reference systems, symbolize data, compose a map, create data from coordinate tables, and work with tables.
- Where to acquire GIS data.
Recommended Textbook: Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop Pro 2.8, ISBN 978-1589487017; book available through Amazon
ArcGIS software access will be provided
UNM Faculty, Staff and Retirees: this course is eligible for Tuition Remission under Professional Development
Geographic Information Systems Cartography Basics or equivalent knowledge.
Continuous internet access, PC (Windows 8 or later) or MAC, and microphone are required to attend the Live Online session. Webcam is recommended.
ArcGIS Pro Software is provided and require a PC or Linux to download and run. Software is not compatible with a MAC.
Recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browsers.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Certificate Program : Geographic Information Systems Certificate